This series entitled “Disciples” is a 8-week study where kids will learn about how to become better followers of Jesus by taking a look at the lives of Jesus’ closest disciples each week. Kids will watch movie clips from Despicable Me movies each week, and learn from the minions about how to be faithful followers. The weekly curriculum content for this series includes a theme verse, two game options, a takeaway statement, a message/object lesson, a character skit, small group discussion questions, review questions, and a family take-home card. A bumper video and graphic slides for the theme, games, takeaways, and review questions are provided as well.
Disciples Series Overview
- Topic – Boldness
- Disciple – Peter
- Bible Story – Peter Speaks Up (Matthew 16:13-19; 17:1-8)
- Today’s Takeaway – I will be bold about following Jesus.
- Weekly Verse – “The wicked run away when no one is chasing them, but the godly are as bold as lions.” (Proverbs 28:1)
- Topic – Sharing
- Disciple – Andrew
- Bible Story – Andrew Shares Jesus with Peter (John 1:35-42)
- Today’s Takeaway – I will share Jesus with everyone I know.
- Weekly Verse – “Yet preaching the Good News is not something I can boast about. I am compelled by God to do it. How terrible for me if I didn’t preach the Good News!” (1 Corinthians 9:16)
- Topic – Faith
- Disciple – Nathanael
- Bible Story – Nathanael’s Disbelief (John 1:43-51)
- Today’s Takeaway – I will believe in Jesus even though I can’t see him.
- Weekly Verse – “Then Jesus told him, ‘You believe because you have seen me. Blessed are those who believe without seeing me.’” (John 20:29)
- Topic – Sacrifice
- Disciple – Matthew
- Bible Story – Matthew Leaves Everything (Luke 5:27-28)
- Today’s Takeaway – I will give up anything to follow Jesus.
- Weekly Verse – “So you cannot become my disciple without giving up everything you own.” (Luke 14:33)
- Topic – Humility
- Disciple – Mary (from Bethany)
- Bible Story – Mary Anoints Jesus (John 12:1-8)
- Today’s Takeaway – I will serve Jesus with a humble attitude.
- Weekly Verse – “If you are wise and understand God’s ways, prove it by living an honorable life, doing good works with the humility that comes from wisdom.” (James 3:13)
- Topic – Serving Others
- Disciple – James and John (Part 1)
- Bible Story – James and John Learn a Lesson (Mark 10:35-45)
- Today’s Takeaway – I will serve others by putting them first.
- Weekly Verse – “God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another.” (1 Peter 4:10)
- Topic – Fierceness
- Disciple – James and John (Part 2)
- Bible Story – James and John Get Protective (Luke 9:49-56)
- Today’s Takeaway – I will be fierce about following Jesus.
- Weekly Verse – “Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically.” (Romans 12:11)
- Topic – Faithfulness
- Disciple – The Twelve
- Bible Story – Disciples Desert Jesus (Mark 14:43-50; 16:14-15)
- Today’s Takeaway – I will follow Jesus to the end.
- Weekly Verse – “If we are unfaithful, he remains faithful, for he cannot deny who he is.” (2 Timothy 2:13)
Disciples Pinterest Board – Check out my Disciples Series Pinterest board for more great ideas for snacks, crafts, and games to go along with the series.
Disciples Set Design – Head over to my set design page to find ideas for decorating your environment for the theme.
Disciples Verse Song – We love using Jumpstart3 music to teach our kids the theme verses for our series. We used Matthew 7:24-25 for the Disciples Series. You will have to purchase this song to use in your ministry, but it is worth it. Jumpstart3 offers options for hand motions and lyric videos for all their songs as well.
The download below includes everything you need to get started with the Disciples Series in your kid’s ministry. Stay tuned for a five-week Lights, Camera Action Series coming soon. In the Lights, Camera, Action Series, kids will watch movie clips from classic kid’s movies each week. Kids will learn how to pull Biblical truths out of any movie and apply them to their lives. Topics covered in the series will include: jealousy, integrity, friendship, persistence, and encouragement. Family take-home cards will include an additional family movie discussion to go along with the movie of the week.